[TRNSYS-users] outlet temperature, water to water heat pump

knut.erik.enerstvedt at niva.no knut.erik.enerstvedt at niva.no
Fri Mar 26 03:36:55 PDT 2010

Mavi and David,

A heat pump with a variable speed compressor can fix the outlet
temperature, but they are not very common yet. I once thought I had to
model such a heat pump, so I made some modifications to Type 668
water-water heat pump to include a set point on outlet load temperature,
similar to Type 666 water cooled chiller which has a set point temperature
on the chilled water stream. It was hard to find data on part load
performance, however. Later I found out that I did not need this model
after all.

Mavi, let me know if you need more information about the modified heat
pump component.

Best regards,
Knut Erik Enerstvedt

>Mavi,
> Heat pumps can't really do that - they are either on and operating at
whatever capacity they have available given the entering water >conditions
or they are off. Unless they are multistage heat pumps, they can't load
follow and provide a constant outlet temperature >regardless of the inlet
temperature. In reality and in simulation, you would have to look for a
method of actually doing that. One thing >you could try is to have a
bypass valve upstream of the heat pump, oversize the heat pump so that it
can always heat or cool the >liquid enough and then divert some of the
upstream liquid around the heat pump and mix it back in downstream like a
tempering >valve.
>Best,
> David

>Mavi Cambronero Vázquez wrote:
>Hi everybody!!

>I´d like to get a fixed outlet temperature from a water-water heat pump.
Do you know how to do it???