[TRNSYS-users] meteorological data

Jaime Gonzalez Rodriguez gonzalezro.jaime at gmail.com
Tue Jul 27 09:08:14 PDT 2010

I do agree, actually in our application 1 hour values are not enough at all.
I work with Marcos (the guy who asked), and we already have our own routine
writen in c++ which creates TMY taking the data of the meteorological
station as input (and trust me, it wasn't that easy to write it), those data
are in 10 minutes intervals. The problem is that actual values of DNI have
fast and big changes under mixed sky conditions, if we do the average we
have nothing similar to the actual DNI, if we take the lowest value we are
underestimating it, if we take the highest value we are highly
overestimating it.
We'll try this solution with type9 and type 16.
Thank you both for your advices.

On 27 July 2010 17:55, Jeff Thornton <thornton at tess-inc.com> wrote:

> <I better suggest you to take the average over one hour of the temperature
> data you have collected and then use it in TMY format.  >
>
> Converting your 10-minute data into one-hour averages is pretty easy.
> Taking that 1-hour data and converting it into pure TMY format is
> difficult to say the least.  Instead of using this advice, simply use the
> Type 9 data reader to read your data at 10-minute intervals and Type 16 to
> process the solar radiation.  You can then run at timesteps of 10 minutes,
> 5 minutes, 2 minutes, 1 minute etc.
>
> <Since inside building thermal load at one hour interval is meaningful but
> less than that it will have lot of errors so I think TRNSYS is written for
> doing hourly calculations. >
>
> That's not true at all.  TRNSYS is capable of doing load calculations and
> system calculations at timesteps under 1 second.  I'm not sure why you
> think TRNSYS is just an hourly program - it's not.
>
> Jeff
>

> Jeff Thornton
> President - TESS, LLC
>
> 22 North Carroll Street - Suite 370