[TRNSYS-users] Challenges using TRNFLOW

Jones Marcus Marcus.Jones at ait.ac.at
Tue Feb 2 06:09:26 PST 2010

This one is for all the TRNFLOW experts out there!

We are modeling a large continuous (14000 m3!) air space shaped like a big spiral, and were hoping to use TRNFLOW to investigate the stratification and resulting air flows. There are three additional areas of the building with completely independent air handling units. First question is how best to model each of the three separate AHU's in TRNFLOW, since it requires only ONE network. To connect them all together we made a "crack" type connection with negligible size (flow coefficient) between each zone and a single auxiliary node with fixed to a constant pressure. Is this a good way to link independent networks?

Additionally, in each air handling unit, there is a mixing or return air path, so a large percentage of the conditioned air is recycled as is typical. Because we had problems, we were looking for a "duct" type that would add storage to the loop and maybe help it converge?

Generally we had big simulation problems with our approach, with temperatures beyond the dewpoint, humidities that were unphysically large, and errors such as "PANE TEMPERATURE CALCULATION IS
DIVERGING". We were not able to track down the bug (getting at the data is a big challenge). We have since changed the approach and disabled TRNFLOW, connecting the air handlers through the "ventilation" input in Type 56, but we are still worried about the stratification.

Best regards,

Marcus

MARCUS JONES, MSc

Energy Department

Sustainable Building Technologies

AIT Austrian Institute of Technology

Österreichisches Forschungs- und Prüfzentrum Arsenal Ges.m.b.H.

Giefinggasse 2 | 1210 Vienna | Austria

T +43(0) 50 550-6387 | M +43(0) 664 210 24 15 | F +43(0) 50550-6598

marcus.jones at ait.ac.at<mailto:marcus.jones at ait.ac.at> | http://www.ait.ac.at<http://www.ait.ac.at/>

FN: 165088b HG Wien | UID: ATU46577208 This email and any attachments thereto, is intended only for use by the addressee(s) named herein and may contain legally privileged and/or confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender by return e-mail or by telephone and delete this message from your system and any printout thereof. Any unauthorized use, reproduction, or dissemination of this message is strictly prohibited. Please note that e-mails are susceptible to change. Österreichisches Forschungs- und Prüfzentrum Arsenal Ges.m.b.H. shall not be liable for the improper or incomplete transmission of the information contained in this communication, nor shall it be liable for any delay in its receipt.