[TRNSYS-users] Request

Knut Erik Enerstvedt knut.erik.enerstvedt at gmail.com
Thu Aug 26 02:07:22 PDT 2010

Dear Tadashi Takakura,

I have been working on greenhouse models in TRNSYS for a while in a
long-term project.
Most of the suggestions from forerunners I followed you can find in the
archive by following
the links provided by Matt. In addition, I wish to add some comments:

I do indeed use two zones in my Type 56 greenhouse model, as you suggest.
The zones are
separated by a thermal screen/horizontal shade modelled by a window with no
glazing (g-value=1).
Then you can have an internal shading device on the "window" controlled by
an input variable
(shades are usually controlled based on temperature, radiation and humidity
level). I think you are
fortunate to have TRNSYS 17, as I understand it is better suited than TRNSYS
16 for modelling
greenhouses because of a more accurate way of treating solar radiation
passing through a zone.
My model is based on TRNSYS 16.

You will also have to model the air exchange between the two zones. As
mentioned in the archive,
there are some problems related to CONTAM for air flows through a large
horizontal opening. I use a
model equation found in this thesis to calculate the air flow:

Hendrik Feije de Zwart, 1996: "Analyzing energy-saving potensials in a
greenhouse cultivation
using a simulation model". PhD. Dissertation, Landbouwuniversiteit,
Wageningen.

However, the air flow is too large for TRNSYS to converge when the screen is
fully open, so I
have to limit it.

Except for the floor, which is defined as a boundary wall, I have no other
walls in my greenhouse.
All external surfaces have been defined as "additional windows".

As constant infiltration rate (except when opening windows), I use 1 ACH (by
advise from
a greenhouse expert). When opening windows to release heat and humidity, I
add this infiltration
to the zone which contains the windows (upper in my case). The infiltration
rate is calculated
by an equation from the above mentioned thesis.

The plants make a substantial contribution to the humidity level in a
greenhouse. I have created
my own Type for modelling the plants, based on the above mentioned PhD
thesis. If you know
the approximate water consumption of the plants in the greenhouse you are
modelling, you can
always use this to estimate water vapour flow rate into greenhouse air. But
then you will of course
miss most of the transient behaviour due to changes in radiation and
temperature. I connect water
vapour flow rate from the plants to Type 56 as a humidity gain. There is
also a thermal interaction
between the plants and Type 56, as the canopy temperature normally lies
0.5-1 deg below air
temperature when evaporization is taking place and the plants are not
exposed to direct sunlight.

I hope this information has been helpful. Please do not hesitate to contact
me if you need further
details. I am also looking forward to possibly sharing experiences about
greenhouse modelling.

Best regards,
Knut Erik Enerstvedt