[TRNSYS-users] TRNSYS-users Digest, Vol 64, Issue 28

Fred Betz fbetz at aeieng.com
Thu Apr 15 07:21:37 PDT 2010

Martin,

You should see a changing flow rate of the steam as the input energy is proportional to the output energy. A double effect chiller should see 0.9 to 1.1 times the cooling output as the heat input.

If you are new to absorption cooling, I recommend this text:
http://www.amazon.com/Absorption-Chillers-Pumps-Keith-Herold/dp/0849394279

It provides a very good introduction to the various types of absorption cooling as well as more detail on the equations governing the operation of the chiller. It was the text I used in my absorption chiller class a few years ago. I'm not sure if there is a German version available.

Also, download this PhD dissertation from Dr. Hongxi Yin:
http://www.cmu.edu/iwess/publications/index.html#chiller

It covers all the details of a small double effect steam absorption chiller.

Then read the PhD dissertation from Dr. Ming Qu, which had a similar absorption chiller, but also used a TRNSYS model, which is on the same web page as Dr. Yin's dissertation.

Finally, if you aren't burned out from reading, there is a copy of my dissertation on this web page, which combined a biodiesel fueled Diesel engine with the steam absorption chiller.

There is also a TRNSYS model of this combined system, but I warn you this is very complicated to do in TRNSYS. There will be an ASME paper on this in the upcoming ASME Energy Sustainability conference in May in Phoenix, AZ.

Good luck,

Fred

FRED BETZ  PhD., LEED AP
SUSTAINABLE SYSTEMS ANALYST

AEI | AFFILIATED ENGINEERS, INC.
5802 Research Park Blvd. | Madison, WI  53719

P: 608.236.1175 | F: 608.238.2614
fbetz at aeieng.com  |  www.aeieng.com