[TRNSYS-users] Type 56 boundary wall with window

knut.erik.enerstvedt at niva.no knut.erik.enerstvedt at niva.no
Tue Sep 8 00:23:49 PDT 2009

Dear Adrien,

Thanks for your answer.

I think your suggestion about adding a wall gain to the boundary wall
sounds good. I can use the window model in the TESS Loads & structures
library to compute the solar gain.

Best regards,
Knut Erik

From:
Adrien JEZEQUEL - ITF <a.jezequel at itf.biz>
To:
knut.erik.enerstvedt at niva.no
Cc:
trnsys-users at engr.wisc.edu
Date:
09/08/2009 08:56 AM
Re: [TRNSYS-users] Type 56 boundary wall with window

Dear Erik,

You can also define your wall with Identical BOUNDARY condition, and
define your window as an "additionnal window" which will be adjacent.

I think you may also define your wall as boundary and put a wall gain,
which will be equal to your window solar gain (you may model that in
Studio outside Type 56 and define that gain as an input in your type 56)

If you define a ficticious zone on the other side of the wall, you will
have to define 2 walls - at least - in that zone.

Best regards

www.itf.biz
Adrien JEZEQUEL
Simulations Thermiques Dynamiques
ITF
87, Avenue de Chambéry
73230 St Alban Leysse
FRANCE
Phone :
Fax :
Mail:
+33(0) 479 750 029
+33(0) 479 852 122
a.jezequel at itf.biz
Afin de contribuer au respect de l'environnement, merci de n'imprimer cet
e-mail que si nécessaire
Please, consider our environmental responsability before printing this
email

knut.erik.enerstvedt at niva.no a écrit :
Hi all,

I wish to model a greenhouse with a boundary wall towards another
greenhouse, and with little or no heat loss through that wall. For this, I
could have used the IDENTICAL boundary condition. However, I also wish to
have a window in that wall, to capture solar radiation coming through it.
This is not possible with a BOUNDARY wall. Is there any way of setting the
temperature on the back side of a wall with a window?
I have an idea which might work. I can define a ficticious zone on the
other side of the wall, and set the temperature in this zone equal to the
setpoint I have in the first zone, to minimize heat loss. Then I can
define the wall as ADJACENT, and have a window in it. Is this approach OK?
Should I set the convective heat transfer coefficient of the ADJACENT wall
to the standard inside value of 11 on both sides? Is it OK with just one
wall (the adjacent wall) in the ficticious zone?
Thanks for any help,
Knut Erik