[TRNSYS-users] Solar Thermal Freeze Protection for water only systems.

Fred Betz fbetz at aeieng.com
Tue Oct 27 08:21:27 PDT 2009

All,

What approaches have you taken to estimate the energy cost of freeze protection for solar thermal systems.

What I have been doing is modeling it without any freeze protection. I then take the hours that the water in the pipes is below 2 degree C and determine what it would take to heat that water with electric resistance heat tape as I know what the volume of liquid is in the pipe. I ignore the mass of the pipe as I also don't get the effect of heat escaping from the building through the pipes.

Obviously this isn't as big of a problem for closed loop glycol systems, but that isn't always practical.

Thanks,

Fred

FRED BETZ  PhD., LEED AP
SUSTAINABLE SYSTEMS ANALYST

AEI | AFFILIATED ENGINEERS, INC.
5802 Research Park Blvd. | Madison, WI  53719

P: 608.236.1175 | F: 608.238.2614
fbetz at aeieng.com  |  www.aeieng.com