[TRNSYS-users] Modelling a greenhouse thermal screen by using an internal window in Type 56

knut.erik.enerstvedt at niva.no knut.erik.enerstvedt at niva.no
Mon Oct 26 08:04:06 PDT 2009

Hello TRNSYS users,

I am modelling a horizontal thermal screen in a greenhouse by using an
internal (ADJACENT) window between to zones in Type 56, one below and one
above the window (screen). The "window" is a virtual window with no
glazing and no frame to let all the radiation through to the lower zone
when the screen is open. I have defined an internal shading factor
controlled by an input variable to model the effects when the screen is
opened or closed. In the Window Type Manager, I wonder about the following
settings:

Optional Properties of Shading Devices:

Additional Thermal resistance: Can I use this to set the thermal
properties of the screen? Will it be effective only when the shading
factor is greater than zero?
 Reflection Coefficient of Internal Device: How should I set this?

Convective Heat Transfer Coefficient of Window: Should I use 0 (direct
contact) when the screen is open and 11 (inside value) when it is fully
closed?

 I also have a question about coupling of air flow between the upper and
lower zones. I use an equation based on the degree of screen opening,
temperature difference and density difference to calculate air flowrate
across the screen. The direction of flow depends on the level of
temperature and/or density in the two zones. How can I ensure air balance
between the adjacent zones? Can I take the absolute value of this air
flowrate as air flow inputs into BOTH zones, that is the air flow from
lower to upper zone equals the air flow from upper to lower zone?

All replies are higly appreciated.

Thanks,
Knut Erik