[TRNSYS-users] Solarthermal collectors

Jeff Thornton thornton at tess-inc.com
Thu Nov 26 09:18:58 PST 2009

<Now, the question is how I can realize this in TRNSYS. I'm using Type 71
to model the evacuated tube collecters. There I can set the "number in
series" and "collector area". For each couple, I think that I could set 2
for the "number in series" and 6,6 m² for the "collector area". But I
don't know how to model the 5 couples in parallel…>

You have a few choices:

1) Set the area to the total array area (2 x 5 x 3.3 = 33 m2) and the
number in series to 2.  The model will correctly simulate 10 total
collectors arranged in 5 parallel paths of 2 in series.

2) Use one type 71 (Nseries=2, area=6.6) and use a mixing valve and a
diverting valve to direct 1/5 of the flow to the collector model and then
mix in the results from the collector five times.

3) Model all 10 collectors using diverting valves and mixing valves.

When done correctly, all three will provide identical results.

Jeff

Jeff Thornton
President - TESS, LLC

22 North Carroll Street - Suite 370