[TRNSYS-users] Heating pipes model

Jeff Thornton thornton at tess-inc.com
Tue May 12 10:21:48 PDT 2009

<I need to model heating pipes commonly found in greenhouses. The pipes
are in loops located 15 cm above the floor, 1 m above the floor, along the
walls and somewhat below the ceiling. Hot water flows in the pipes and
heats up the greenhouse. I use Type 56 to model the greenhouse, but have
not yet succeded in finding a model for the heating pipes. Does anyone
know an appropriate model for the heating pipes and how to use it in
combination with Type 56? >

We use the Type 604 model (TESS Hydronics) which accounts for the
convective and radiative heat transfer to the zone.  Then simply set up a
new "gain" inside of Type 56 and set the radiative and convective gains as
inputs to Type 56.  Then make the connections from Type 56 to the pipe
(zone temperature and effective surface temperature) and from the pipe to
Type 56 (radiative heat transfer and convective heat transfer).

Jeff

Jeff Thornton
President - TESS, LLC

22 North Carroll Street - Suite 370