[TRNSYS-users] Problem with cooling tower, Cooling tower file wanted

Matt Duffy duffy at tess-inc.com
Tue Jun 16 12:49:04 PDT 2009

Dear Sotiris,

It appears that your "C" coefficient and the "n" exponent of the Ntu
definition, parameter 9 and 10, are out of bounds, or perhaps your flow
rates are out of bounds for that configuration.

Ntu=C*(m_dot_water/m_dot_air)**(1+n)

"The exponent n is typically between -0.35 and -1.1, while C may be in the
range of 0.5 to 5. Simpson and Sherwood (2) give data for a number of
different tower designs. It is usually necessary to correlate specific
data in order to determine the parameters for a particular tower." - from
Vol. 5 Mathematical Reference

I recently made a data file for Type51a for a nominal BAC 240 cooling
tower. It produced a "C" of 1.36 and an "n" of -0.937 (I was able to find
these by looking in the *.lst file). I tried those values with your
simulation and it works fine.

Best regards,

Matt Duffy