[TRNSYS-users] PCM TYpe 204

George Limnaios geo_limnaios at hotmail.com
Fri Jun 5 06:53:23 PDT 2009

Hello TRNSYS Users,

 I'm Limnaios George and i'm working my masters thesis at Technical University of Crete. I want to use TRNSYS Type 204 for the simulation of PCM layers on a building. Has anyone used this type before? It takes forever to run an one week simulation...However the main problem is i cannot understand the way the model simulates a PCM layer...

My questions are about the SUNSPACE example supplied into the files package loaded :
There are 2 air zones in the TRNBUILD type 56 model of this example : SunZone and BackZone.
SunZone is where "PCM wall" has been installed. So :

                   - How to make the difference if we want "PCM layer" into all walls surfaces from SunZone, or only into some of them?

                   - Why the resistance of the "PCM massless layer" created in TRNBUILD is only 0.1 m².K.h/kJ?

                   - Why the "PCM wall" using the "PCM massless layer" into SunZone (boundary wall calling T_PCM input) presents a so small surface of 0.2 m²?

                  - Why QCOMI is taken from the same "PCM Wall" (14) and not from other walls?

                        - Do we have to change values into the 4 text external files supplied (NodeTemp.txt, Tila.txt, Ceff1.txt, ALKU.txt) or do we only have to call their path?

               - Why the PCMeT (average surface temperature of "PCM wall") calculated by type 204 is sent to the boundary "PCM wall" input (T_PCM) into type 56 ?
                    type 204 receives QCOMI from 0.2 m² surface (14), and T_AIR from SunZone volume,
                    then it calculates and sends T_PCM to boundary input for 0.2 m² surface (14)
                    => I don't see in which way this sequence allows modelization of PCM introduction into a wall?
I searched all the mailing list but i just found the same questions..and no answers...

Please help...Thanks in advance

Limnaios George