[TRNSYS-users] Air-coupling vs TRNFLOW

David Bradley bradley at tess-inc.com
Wed Jul 29 17:40:42 PDT 2009

Dear Arnaud,
  The most correct way of assessing the air coupling between the two zones
is to use TRNFlow or CONTAM/Type97. If you don't, you'll have the
conductive heat transfer between the two zones (through the virtual
window). If you use TRNFlow or CONTAM, you'll add the convective
portion, which is likely more substantial. Since TRNFlow and Type97
require rather extensive work to implement, you could also look at the
ASHRAE97 Fundamentals handbook and extract the equation that gives
two-way flow through an opening as a function of the temperature
difference across the opening. You should be able to implement that as
an equation in your input file and it would at least give you an
approximation (slightly better than a guess) of the coupling flow.
Kind regards,
 David