[TRNSYS-users] Further questions about weather data file and new component

Cramer Silkworth silkworth at transsolar.com
Wed Jan 21 09:11:56 PST 2009

Artemi,

I just realized that the shading only applies to windows, not an entire
facade. Also, I thought this problem through a little more and have a
different suggestion. I must not have had enough coffee last time...

If I understand what you're trying to do, it's actually pretty simple.
In TrnBuild, select your roof surface. Set the category as a BOUNDARY.
This kind of wall has no radiation on it (only EXTERNAL walls do), and
then you can select the boundary temp as user defined, then set up the
input from your special component. As far as I know, you cannot tell
trnsys that the surface temp of the roof or wall is anything in
particular, but you can tell it that the air outside of it is a certain
temperature. It's not a perfect solution but it might suffice.

The issue of negative radiations is solved by equations that are put
between type 109 and type 56. These check to see if the value is <0, and
if so, send only 0 to type 56, and not the negative value. I'm not sure
why such a check is not built into type 109 already, but whatcha gonna
do. Some example deck files include these equations I think, but if you
start from scratch you need to know to put them in yourself. They look
like this: output=max(input, 0). Thus if the input is <0, the output is
0, otherwise the output is the input.

The parameter is "locked" due to the way trnsys studio is set up to
handle different variations of the same type (109-user, 109-tmy, etc).
If you open your deck file in Notepad (or any other text editor), you
can see the 'real' code of the file. Find type 109, and you'll see how
the parameters are set up. Just change the value for the first parameter
and you should be all set. Save it and reopen in Simulation Studio.

I hope this helps,
-Cramer

  _____