[TRNSYS-users] Chilled Water Cooling System

a8304506 at graduate.hku.hk a8304506 at graduate.hku.hk
Wed Jan 21 01:33:21 PST 2009

Hi, Nguan Teck.

I think you should be clear of what happens in a simulation as compared with a
real installation.  Most of the chiller models in Trnsys are basically
interpolation of catalogue data.  There is no step-up or step-down of the
chiller compressor to allow for part load performance.  Hence, the chiller
capacity may vary only within a small range according to the different boundary
conditions as compared with the design conditions.  When the building load
varies, the resulting chilled water temperature will change (provided that you
have included a sufficient thermal mass for the chilled water or you may get
non-convergence in the iteration) considerably.  You probaly need to add some
sort of controller to switch the chiller on/off according to the temperature of
the chilled water.

Best Regards
LEE, Chun Kwong
Research assistant
Division of Building Science and Technology
City University of Hong Kong