[TRNSYS-users] Questions about new component

Cramer Silkworth silkworth at transsolar.com
Tue Jan 13 07:38:28 PST 2009

Artemi,

If you have tmy2, why do you want to go to 109? We (Transsolar) can
create 109 files, but the scripts to do so aren't something I can easily
send you. What city are you using? Maybe I have it already. I doubt
Meteonorm can create a 109. A "109 weather file," as far as I know, only
exists in the Trnsys world. Just change parameter 1 of type 109 to 2
instead of 1 and it will know it's getting a tmy2 file and not a 109.

Variable cycles are how some Types handle multiple sets of variables.
Type 109, for example, can process various surface orientations to
create the total, direct, and diffuse radiation levels. The calculation
is the same for each of these, so the type cycles (loops) for each input
orientation, and outputs all the results grouped in the same order as
they were input.

Blocking all solar radiation to the roof might be as simple as saying
that it's 100% shaded. Or just override the usual horizontal radiation
input and set it equal to zero. I don't think you can set the roof
surface temperature directly, but you can say that the temperature
"outside" this particular surface is equal to an input, connected to the
output of your component - as if there were different ambient conditions
for the roof, rather than the normal outdoor temp.

I hope this helps.

-Cramer

J. Cramer Silkworth

Transsolar Climate Engineering

Technical consulting for energy efficiency and environmental quality in
buildings.

145 Hudson Street

Suite 402

New York, NY 10013