[TRNSYS-users] Chiller and Zones

#TEO NGUAN TECK# Z050128 at ntu.edu.sg
Wed Jan 7 23:55:47 PST 2009

Hi ALL,

I have obtained the cooling load of my building (based on QCOOL and
QLATD) using idealized cooling in TRNBuild. I have also sized my chiller
to meet the peak load of my model. I am intending to use a single
chiller to meet my model's cooling demand.

My model consists of 8 zones and the peak load is based on the summation
of the cooling loads from these 8 zones.

I have also created inputs (i.e. RH, Temp, M_dot) to allow my model to
accept the external cooling device, which is a water chiller system. I
am setting the ventilation of all 8 zones to these inputs (i.e. only one
ventilation type).

My query is:

By using a single chiller sized at peak load and setting each zone to
accept the chiller system, would I be oversizing my chiller? Since I
believe each zone's load is only a fraction of the peak load and my
ventilation type only targets one zone instead of all zones together.

Or, should I be using a chiller for each of my 8 zones (i.e. altogether
8 chillers) and sized them to the respective peak loads of the zones?

PS: My model requires a central core in the middle of the room, so in
order to have the central core, I created 8 zones around it using the
Multizone building.

I hope I am clear with my description.

Any help is deeply appreciated.

Nguan Teck