[TRNSYS-users] TYPE 33 Pipe heat transfer coefficient

David Ferrari davidf at Vipac.com.au
Tue Dec 22 18:15:33 PST 2009

Hello all,

I am using TRNSYS to model a solar water heater based on a template deck
provided by a well-respected source. I am concerned about the
calculation of heat transfer coefficient U for input into the TYPE 33
(pipe) components. The TYPE 33 component spec requires U based on inside
surface area, so the following calculation seems correct to me:
UP1 = 1/(1/hin+dpipe1/2/kinsul*ln(dpipeo/dpipe1)+dpipe1/dpipeo/hout)
(where hin and hout are the internal/external surface heat transfer
coeffs; dpipe1 is the internal diameter; dpipeo the external diameter;
and kinsul the thermal conductivity of the pipe material).
The result is used in "UNIT 11" as follows:
UNIT 11 TYPE 31 collector INLET PIPE
PARAMETERS 6
dpipe1 Lpipe1 UP1 1000 4.18 25

However, a calculation for another pipe elsewhere in the deck is:
UP3 = 1/(Dpipe3/2/k_insul3*ln(Dpipe03/Dpipe3)+Dpipe03/Dpipe3/hout)
(Dpipe3 is the internal diameter; Dpipe03 the external diameter;
k_insul3 the pipe material thermal conductivity)

The result's application (in UNIT 21, below) assumes that UP3 is based
on the INTERNAL area:

UNIT 23 TYPE 31 pipe between solar preheater and gas booster
PARAMETERS 6
Dpipe3 Lpipe3 UP3 1000 4.18 25

The general form of the equation looks reasonable, assuming hin is very
large in this instance. However, it appears to me that the second term
in the equation for UP3 has the ratio of diameters the wrong way around.
I would like to propose a correction of the calculation of UP3 as:
UP3 = 1/(Dpipe3/2/k_insul3*ln(Dpipe03/Dpipe3)+Dpipe3/Dpipe03/hout)

Is anyone able to confirm the correctness of this, or am I missing
something obvious?

Regards,
David Ferrari
Engineering Consultant
Solar and Thermal Systems Group

Vipac Engineers & Scientists

279 Normanby Road Port Melbourne VIC 3207 Australia

t. +61 3 9647 9736| f. +61 3 9646 4370

www.vipac.com.au <blocked::http://www.vipac.com.au/>

P Vipac encourages sustainability. Please consider the environment
before printing this email.
The information contained in this email and any files transmitted with
it are commercial in confidence and intended solely for the use of the
individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received
this email in error please promptly notify the sender by reply email and
then delete the email and destroy any printed copy. Further, if you have
received this email in error, you must not disclose or use the
information contained therein for any purpose whatsoever. Vipac will
assume no responsibility for the accuracy, adequacy, and integrity of
the files, and recommends that the files be thoroughly screened for
viruses prior to installation.