[TRNSYS-users] Type 557b: Question about simulating TRT and step response for 20 years

Michaël Kummert michael.kummert at gmail.com
Tue Nov 18 01:34:28 PST 2008

Clara,

I have used Type 557 to reproduce Thermal response tests in the past and I
have not experienced the problems you describe. I did get a straight line
vs. ln(time). Type 557 does neglect the short-term transient behaviour of
the fluid loop and grout, which is important when you consider short-time
dynamics (i.e. one hour or less) but this should not have a significant
impact over a few days. However, Type 557 "history" can be tricky to setup
and the model can be sensitive to the ambient temperature that you connect
to it (especially if your boreholes are not very deep). Perhaps what you are
seeing is a combination of the response to a constant heat input AND the
effect of history / ambient temperature? To check that you could just set
the heat injection to zero and see what happens. Or increase the heat
injection so that these effects get smaller proportionally.

Also I am not sure I understand you correctly but it seems that you are
simulating the Thermal Response Test with the whole borefield, not just one
borehole. Usually the test is performed on one borehole so I am not sure how
you are doing the comparison. Are you scaling up the measured flowrate and
heat input?

Regarding the second problem, the only time I got that "unspecified error"
in Type 557 is when I cooled the ground to an extremely low temperature
because of an error in the input file. Are you by any chance cooling the
ground (or rather warming it up) to unrealistic temperatures? Type557 has a
simple physical model (e.g. it does not know about freezing the ground or
boiling the heat transfer fluid) but still "unexpected errors" are easier to
forgive when the model is operating well outside the intended (and in this
case physical) range.

Hope this helps,

Michaël Kummert
ESRU - University of Strathclyde