[TRNSYS-users] Time dependency

Kim Goethals kim.goethals at ugent.be
Tue May 27 04:45:11 PDT 2008

Dear TRNSYS-users,

I am performing a simulation of a typical office room which is cooled by
night ventilation. To study the influence of convective heat transfer I
implement convective heat transfer correlations. Since I got a
convergence error doing so, I recall the needed parameter values from
the previous time step to calculate the convective heat transfer
coefficient. To get a time-independent solution I decreased the time
step gradually. However, when I use a time step of 0.5 or 1s the results
deviate seriously. Therefore, I have completely stripped my model to
eliminate the influence of controls of installations, schedules etc.
Moreover, I have used constant convective heat transfer coefficients. A
graph of the indoor temperature shows that the simulation with a time
step of 0.5s doesn’t start from the initial value while the simulation
with 1s approaches the temperature profile of 0.5s. Does anyone have an
explanation?

Best regards,

Kim