[TRNSYS-users] Type 8b strikes back

Diego Alejandro Arias daarias at uwalumni.com
Mon Mar 10 20:26:19 PDT 2008

Hi Stefan,
I am afraid that you found a bug.
An error occurs when you have this set of conditions: when you use any
non-zero value as dead band, and when you only have one instance of
Type8 in your simulation.  The problem is that this is the default
condition, so you will be likely to experience it all the time.
In other words, the problem occurs because the set point for cooling
(in the source code: TC) is saved between time steps.  This variable
is used in the intermediate calculations as the adjusted cooling set
point, taking into account the dead band.

I have two possible fixes:
- Elegant fix: in the source code, comment out lines 133 and 144:
!10    IF(INFO(1).NE.IUNIT) THEN
         !recall the UNIT and TYPE number
         IUNIT = INFO(1)
	  ITYPE = INFO(2)
         !read parameter values
         ISTK = JFIX(PAR(1)+0.1)
         ISTG = JFIX(PAR(2)+0.1)
         TMIN = PAR(3)
         TC   = PAR(4)
         TH1  = PAR(5)
         TH2  = PAR(6)
!	ENDIF
This means that Type8 will read the parameters at each iteration.

- Not so elegant fix: add another Type8 to your simulation, even if it
does nothing in your simulation.

Best regards,

Diego