[TRNSYS-users] Overhang Type 34

Hermann Schranzhofer hermann.schranzhofer at tugraz.at
Mon Jun 23 12:25:44 PDT 2008

Hi Benoît Cogné,

as far as I know the problem is that type34 uses the isotropic sky model for calculating the diffuse radiation and there is no other possibility in type 34 (do not ask me why; maybe David Bradley can tell us more about that).
Type109 uses the Perez model to calculate the diffuse radiation. And this may cause the differences you got. You can check this by setting Parameter 3 of type109 to 1 (using the isotropic sky model). Than the results should be the same. For detail information of sky models there are a lot of papers available and you can also find some in the documentation of TRNSYS. The Mathematical Reference gives also some comparison and advises concerning the sky models:
(page 5-294):

"In general, the anisotropic sky models (Hay and Davies, Reindl, and Perez, et al) provide comparable estimates of the total radiation on a tilted surface and are recommended for general use. The Hay and Davies and the Reindl models are computationally simple when compared to the Perez model. The isotropic sky model (mode 1) under predicts the total radiation on a tilted surface and is not recommended for general use; it is included to permit consistency with simulations performed with earlier versions of TRNSYS."

We also had some troubles with that and we wonder why type34 does not give the possibility to choose the sky model.

Please, if I am wrong correct me (Bradley?)!

For your second problem, we use the connection type34<->type56 by creating additional orientations in TRNBUILD. There is an example shipped with TRNSYS called "SunSpace-Shading" showing you the correct connections.
I don't know if there are some differences using "fraction of solar shading" (type34) connected with "external shading factor" (type56).

I hope it helps a little bit and maybe someone else has more information.

Best regards
Hermann Schranzhofer.

 DI Dr. mont. Hermann Schranzhofer
 Institut fuer Waermetechnik / Institute of Thermal Engineering
 TU Graz / Graz University of Technology
 Inffeldgasse 25 / B, A-8010 Graz

 Tel.: +43 316 873 7314
 Fax : +43 316 873 7305