[TRNSYS-users] Regarding Libeng error

Michaël Kummert michael.kummert at gmail.com
Tue May 29 14:19:00 PDT 2007

Mohammad,

The problem might be due to a TRNSYS update. To make sure, you could
make a backup of your TRNSYS dir, uninstall TRNSYS AND DELETE EVERYTHING
IN THE INSTALLATION DIR (E.g. C:\Program Files\Trnsys16) and then
reinstall the latest version (16.01.xxxx).

Longer explanation and other option:

Libeng.dll should only be loaded (or searched for) if Type155 (Calling
Matlab) is used in the simulation but if a copy of Type155.dll is
located in the Userlib directory (or one of its subdirectories) TRNSYS
will get confused and try to load it - which will fail if you do not
have Matlab installed. This is one of the reasons why some early TRNSYS
updates were telling you that you HAD to do a clean install.
A quick check would be to search for Type155.dll on your machine. You
should have only one copy, in C:\Program Files\Trnsys16\Exe (assuming
you installed TRNSYS in the default location). If you have any other
copy in the UserLib directory (or a subdirectory) you can delete it and
try again but I would still do a clean install.

I don't really understand why the problem would happen in TRNEdit and
not the Studio. Are you sure you are running the same version of TRNSYS
in both cases (e.g. did you install an update in a different directory
and end up with two or more TRNSYS versions)?

Here's a tip that can be useful to track down similar problems: At the
beginning of the simulation, TRNSYS writes some useful information to
the log file (a file created in the project directory, with the same
name as the deckfile and with a ".log" extension - make sure you have
got the right file, check the time!)
Here is a typical log file so you can compare:

[...]

### This will tell you which copy of TRNSYS you are running for sure ###

  *** Notice at time        :         0.000000
     Generated by Unit     : Not applicable or not available
     Generated by Type     : Not applicable or not available
     Message               : The TRNSYS Executable (TRNExe.exe) and main
DLL (TRNDll.dll) are located in "C:\Program Files\Trnsys16\Exe"

[...]