[TRNSYS-users] New component in other programming languages

keilholz, werner werner.keilholz at cstb.fr
Wed Jan 10 07:14:25 PST 2007

Hello,

The programming language you are using must only be able to produce a native
Windows DLL (note that some languages in the Microsoft .NET framework also
produce "DLL" files, but depending on the language / compile options these
only work with the framework (CLR, Common Language Runtime); you cannot
execute such a DLL targeted for the framework as a TRNSYS type).

I am not an expert with Visual Basic, and I'm not sure it can directly
produce native DLLs (but only "managed" DLLs for the CLR); you would then
have to create a native DLL with another language and call your program from
that DLL.

If you just want to use Basic to program a TYPE, there is a much simpler
solution though: You can use VBA (Visual Basic for Applications) via Excel.
Look at the Examples

.\Trnsys16\Examples\Calling Excel

to see how it works. (To see the Basic code, just open the .xls file and hit
Alt-F11).

If you are not using FORTRAN or C, you can only use the generated skeletons
as models, but you have to translate them to the language you use, of
course.

Hope this helps,

Werner

  _____