[TRNSYS-users] units of thermal bridge in TRNSYS

Marc Medrano mmedrano at diei.udl.cat
Thu Aug 30 00:19:51 PDT 2007

Dear all,

I am new in the list and a beginner of TRNSYS.

I want to test the effect of a thermal bridge in a building and I am
having doubts on how to introduce the thermal bridge values.

According to this previous emails:

************

Hi Nicola,

nicola wrote:

>> Dear all,
>> I'm modelling a wall wit a thermal bridge effect.
>> I found a bug in TRNBuilt :
>> 1. If I put the value of resistence equal to xxx (hmK/kJ) in the layer
>> manager, the program create a wall with a U-value expressed in kJ/h
>> m^2K and a resistence equal to xxx in hm^2k/kJ!!!

Thanks for finding this bug. I think it is only a problem of displaying
the units.  The resistance should be entered in h m^2K /kJ, and not h m
K /kJ.  When you check on the 'Layer type manager', the resistance is
shown in h m^2K /kJ.

>> 2. the u-value of a wall with thermal bridge effect is lower than the
>> same wall without thermal bridge effect.

The u-value displayed in the 'Wall type manager' is calculated by adding
two reference heat transfer coefficients to the wall (7.7 and 25 W/m2 K).

Best regards,

Diego

************

There is a bug in the units of the thermal resistance. In the input
window units are h-m-K/kJ (m-K/W in SI) and in the Layer type manager
units change to h-m^2K/kJ (m^2K/W in SI), conserving the same input
value! According to Diego, it should be h-m^2K/kJ (m^2K/W in SI) in both
places.

But typical values for a thermal bridge are given as lineal
transmitances (W/mK in SI) or its inverse, the  lineal resistances (mK/W
in SI). If the expected input units in TRNSYS for the thermal bridge
resistance are h-m^2K/kJ (m^2K/W in SI) , how do I convert the lineal
transmitances values I have available (units kJ/h-m^2K (W/mK in SI))
into this expected resistance in TRNSYS in h-m^2K/kJ? Multiplying the
lineal transmittance by the thermal bridge length (which is also an
input value), dividing by the total area of that wall and doing the
inverse? Or the units bug was actually in the layer type manager window
and the expected  units for the thermal resistance are  the ones in the
input window (h-m-K/kJ (m-K/W in SI))? I feel that the second is the
correct, but I would like some expert to confirm.

Thank you in advance,

Regards,

Marc