[TRNSYS-users] wood and gas burner (type 170) in the same project?

Gorissen, R. R.Gorissen at student.tue.nl
Tue Sep 5 05:06:44 PDT 2006

Dear trnsys users,

I'm having a little bit of trouble with the non standard type 170 (or
the update version of it, type 370) to model a wood/gas boiler (in
trnsys 15 build 3.0.0.26)

My heating system simulation use 2 large boilers, one running on gas and
the other on wood. So I included 2 type 170's in my project, one to
simulate the large gas fired burner (mode 2) and one smaller wood fired
unit (mode 4). But looking at the output of these two burners it shows
that when ever a gas fired burner is present in the project, the
internal calculation of the consumption of wood (OUT(16): Mpkt_Br in
[kg/h]) in the wood burner unit uses the calorific value for gas (35
MJ/m3) instead of the calorific value of wood (about 18.5 MJ/kg). Thus
resulting in wood consumption which is to low. When I set both burners
to wood (PAR(2),BSTRO = 4) the internal calculation of the needed wood
[kg/h] seems correct (comparing it to OUT(6),Phumax).

Is there a workaround for this problem (setting a different logical unit
for both burners, although there is no parameter for this in type 170)?

Best Regards,

Raf