[TRNSYS-users] low energy consumption buildings

Charron, Rémi remi.charron at nrcan-rncan.gc.ca
Thu Nov 23 06:49:40 PST 2006

Hi Christophe,
The transfer function method can be used for low energy buildings.  However, the accuracy of TFM becomes more of a question when you are modelling high mass buildings.  Many of the commercial software that are available have accuracy issues with modelling high thermal mass buildings. Different modelling techniques, such as that used in ESP-r should model high mass buildings more accurately.
A good question, which is not often reported is what levels of thermal mass can TFM models accurately model, and how much is the accuracy affected by using these methods in massive buildings.  If the accuracy is only affected by say +/- 5%, then this could acceptable considering all the other sources of uncertainty present.

I would suggest reading the following article that debates the accuracy of current TFM models to accurately simulate high mass, historical, European buildings:

Beccali, G., et al. Is the transfer function method reliable in a European building context? A theoretical analysis and a case study in the south of Italy. Applied Thermal Engineering 25 (2005) 341-357

Rémi