[TRNSYS-users] Type51

Diego A. Arias daarias at wisc.edu
Wed May 3 11:28:50 PDT 2006

Hi Amandine,

In order to solve the mass balance and energy balance that represent the
process inside the cooling tower, Type51 uses correlations for the
psychrometric properties.  Type51 has to perform internal iterations in
order to solve those two equations.   It is possible that a combination
of input conditions are resulting in a very difficult problem to find a
solution for, and the iterations are going out of the limits considered
appropriate  for the correlations.  Did you connect both the dry bulb
temperature and the wet bulb temperature inputs of the model to the
weather data reader?

My idea to debug this problem is that you use Type51b, and use the
default parameters for the cooling tower. Find the time when the error
is occurring, and look at the inlet conditions.  Use this values to
calculate yourself the outlet conditions in the cooling tower:  you can
use the mathematical reference (volume 5, section 5.4.17) to do the
calculations.  Perhaps you may find an input that is causing the problem.

Please let me know if you have questions debugging this problem.
Best regards,

Diego