[TRNSYS-users] transparent insulation

Diego A. Arias daarias at wisc.edu
Fri Mar 31 09:10:31 PST 2006

Hi Irene,

I have not seen a reply to your question. When the building model was
written, who would have thought that someone wanted transparent
insulation? ;-)

Here are my humble ideas. I will appreciate if someone else has a better
answer to share it with the mailing list.

Having transparent insulation will affect your energy balance on the
wall in two ways: modifying the incoming solar radiation and the overall
heat transfer coefficient.  My idea is to do the following:
- In TrnBuild, add the layered wall without the layer corresponding to
the transparent insulation.
- Select the external heat transfer coefficient to be an input.  You
will have to calculate it outside of TRNBuild, with an equation, taking
into account the resistance of the insulation.
- To address the effect of the optical properties on the solar
radiation, you can use Type35 (window) to calculate the transmitted
energy through a very simple glazing system; the simplest mode uses the
index or refraction of the material to calculate the transmissivity.
You can then use this modified solar radiation as the solar radiation
hitting on your insulated wall.  NOTE: set the area of the window to 1
m^2, because the output of Type35 is energy and not energy per unit area.

This approach is an approximation. You will have to work out the
details. For example, you can complain that the external heat transfer
coefficient will be applied to a different temperature on the surface of
the wall.

Please let me know if this helps.
Best regards,

Diego