[TRNSYS-users] TrnsysFunctions when using Powell's method

Todd Houstein toddh at utas.edu.au
Tue Jan 17 17:39:14 PST 2006

Dear Diego (and anyone else interested),
Attached is a zip file which includes all relevant files:

1) The DLL, source code and proforma for Type153
Type153 is a test type that I have created. It has one input and two
outputs...
- The 1st OUTPUT is the UNIT NUMBER of the unit connected to the input (the
getConnectedUnitNumber function is used for this)
- The 2nd OUTPUT is the TYPE NUMBER of the unit connected to the input (the
getConnectedTypeNumber function is used for this)

2) A TRNSYS studio project (and associated files) named "test"
The project includes a Type153 with an arbitrary Type connected to its input
(which happens to be a Type14h), and its output connected to a Type65c
printer/plotter. When you run the simulation the resulting print/plot should
show the outputs of the Type153 to be 3 and 14 - the unit number and type
number of the unit connected to its input.

This works for me when using the Successive Substitution method, but not
Powell's method. I have found that when using Powell's method the
getConnectedUnitNumber function always returns a value of zero, and that the
getConnectedTypeNumber function produces a "range check error."

Thanks and regards,
Todd

Todd Houstein  BEng(Hons)  MIEAust
President, Engineers Without Borders Australia - Tasmania chapter
www.ewb.org.au/tasmania

Committee member, Young Engineers Australia - Tasmania
*2005 is Engineers Australia's Year of the Young Engineer*
www.youngengineers.com.au

PhD Candidate
Hydrogen & Allied Renewable Technologies (HART) research team
www.eng.utas.edu.au/research/hart/hydrogen.html
School of Engineering
University of Tasmania
Private Bag 65 Hobart