[TRNSYS-users] Cooling with lake water

Diego A. Arias daarias at wisc.edu
Fri Apr 21 06:36:20 PDT 2006

Dear Johan,

I do not know of any component that models the behavior of a stratified
pond.
However, you may want to try Type 4, which simulates the performance of
a storage tank subject to thermal stratification.  The tank is divided
in N nodes, and energy balance equations are solved for each one of the
nodes.
However, there are a couple of issues to take into account:
- Type 4 was developed having domestic hot water applications in mind,
i.e., the objective is to heat the water and the magnitude of the volume
is very different.  Type 4 has 3 operation modes: Mode 1 and 2 have
fixed locations for the source and load streams,  and the location of
the load stream in these two modes is at the highest point of the tank
(highest temperature).  You could use Mode3, which allows you to specify
the nodes where the load and source streams are located.
- You can use 2 heating elements in Type 4.  I think that you could use
them to simulate an energy input from the sun.

Please let me know what you think about this strategy.  If you find that
Type4 does not suit your needs, I can help you developing a new component.
Best regards,

Diego