[TRNSYS-users] Combining shading masks and overhangs (type 68 and type 34)

Diego A. Arias daarias at wisc.edu
Wed Oct 26 08:24:20 PDT 2005

Dear Amelie:

You can find a discussion about how to use type68 and type 34 to model
far-away objects and overhang shading in the mailing list archive.
(https://www.cae.wisc.edu/pipermail/trnsys-users/2005/000680.html).
Here is a review from this discussion.

The order of the components should be:
- Type68(horizontal)  -->  Type34 --> Building
- Type68(vertical)     -->

This means that you need two Type68 components for each Type34.  As you
described in your email, this is because the inputs to Type34 and the
outputs for Type68 are not the same for only one instance of Type68.

One of the Type68 (the one that I called Type68(horizontal)) should be
used to calculate the total shaded radiation by far-away objects on the
horizontal.   The other Type68, which I called Type68(vertical), is used
to calculate the shaded beam radiation on the vertical surface.
With these two outputs from the two Type68's you have the right inputs
for Type34.

As you can see, it is a little bit complicated.  That is why we have
created a new version of Type68 that will be available in the next
TRNSYS release, before the end of this year.  This new version of Type68
calculates internally the total shaded  radiation on the horizontal in
addition to the specific surface that you need.
Best regards,

Diego