[TRNSYS-users] ...small time step problem [2]

David Bradley [SEL] dbradley at engr.wisc.edu
Mon Jul 25 07:25:02 PDT 2005

Piya,
  I would be very careful in using the radiation smoothing feature on
Type16 and would highly recomment plotting the radiation outputs from
Type16 in an online plot to make sure that they look reasonable. The
radiation smoothing algorithm works quite well on certain weather data
files and really makes a mess of others. We (the developers) were never
able to tell why it worked so poorly in some circumstances or how to
tell whether it was going to be a problem for a given weather file
except by plotting the results. The smoothing algorithm was removed from
TRNSYS 16 because of its questionable results. You might be best advised
to simply switch off the smoothing in your Type16.
Cheers,
  David

Piya Louis Siangsukone wrote:

>I did some further investigation on this problems and I found out that
>the problem occurred when the type 16 with smoothing option is used.
>(type 16h)
>
>The error is "Range Check Error" and happened when the subroutine CURVE
>is called in the type 16. Thus I suspect that some array size might be
>set too small for my time step (0.1 minute time interval) to calculating
>the radiation data. CURVE subroutine is only called when the smoothing
>option is choose and it calculates the radiation level based on fitting
>the data with the polynomial equation.
>And I think if the size of some (problem parameters) can be changed this
>problem can be solved.
>
>Are there any suggestions for that?
>
>Cheers,
>
>Piya Louis Siangsukone
>Ph.D. Candidate
>Centre for Sustainable Energy Systems
>Department of Engineer & IT
>CANBERRA ACT 0200 AUSTRALIA

David BRADLEY
TRNSYS Engineer
Solar Energy Laboratory - University of Wisconsin, Madison
1500 Engineering Drive
Madison, WI  53706
United States

ph: +1 608 263 1589