[TRNSYS-users] frame/window area ratio tsys 15_Type56

xavdeq at futurich.com xavdeq at futurich.com
Fri Jul 15 02:37:15 PDT 2005

Hi,
I am quite new to trnsys, and still trying to understand the datainputs I
have to provide to simulate some passive solar building.

I have a problem to really understand this kind of input (PreBID), but I
saw the similar approach in other programs.

For a window TYPE, it is asked to give a "frame/window ratio".

But this ratio depends a lot on the size of the window, of otherwise the
same TYPE (same glazing + same frame construction).

Does this make little difference in the simulation?
E.g.
If I have a window with 1x1 m, 10cm frame, to make it simple
it gives a ratio of 36%, 4 windows gives 4m2

If I have 1 window with 2x2 m, 10 cm frame
it gives a ratio of 19%, for the same 4m2

The total window area is the same, and it makes quite a difference on the
ratio, and the window size difference is not even big.

Does not this affect the simulation results as far as solar gains are
concerned?
(may be less impact on the thermal losses, depending on the frames U-value)

How do you then evaluate the value of the frame/window area ratio for a
window TYPE?
Do you define one window TYPE by window size or by fram/win ratio?

sorry for length
TIA
Xavier