[TRNSYS-users] Types 68 and 34 (shading)

Enertech sidler at club-internet.fr
Wed Aug 24 00:06:43 PDT 2005

This is a part of the TYPE34 code :
2000  CONTINUE

       GB=XIN(5)
       GD=XIN(4)
       GR=XIN(3)
       RHO=XIN(6)
       IF(VERSNUM.EQ.16) IncAng = XIN(7)

       OUT(2) = GB*FI
       OUT(3) = GD*VFSky
       OUT(4) = RHO*GR*VFGround
         IF (OUT(2).LT.0.d0) OUT(2)=0.d0
         IF (OUT(3).LT.0.d0) OUT(3)=0.d0
         IF (OUT(4).LT.0.d0) OUT(4)=0.d0
       OUT(1) = OUT(2)+OUT(3)+OUT(4)
       OUT(5) = FI
         OUT(6) = RepVFSky
         OUT(7) = RepVFGround
         GTOT=(GB+GD*0.5d0+RHO*GR)
         OUT(11) = 1
       IF (GTOT.GT.0.d0) OUT(11) = 1-OUT(1)/GTOT
         IF(VERSNUM.EQ.16) OUT(12) = IncAng

       RETURN 1

So, you see that GD = XIN(4) and that OUT(3) = GD * VFSky
VFSky is the sky view factor of the receiver and OUT(3) supposes to be the
sky diffuse solar radiation on receiver.
Look at equation (5.7.4.1) in TRNSYS Manual p. 5-226, you see that the
diffuse part of the total solar radiation incident on the receiver is
composed by the diffuse component of solar radiation incident on the
receiver surface (and not the horizontal diffuse radiation) * the sky view
factor of the receiver.
You meet again equation (5.7.4.1) in the expression : OUT(1) =
OUT(2)+OUT(3)+OUT(4)
where :
         OUT(2) = GB*FI
       OUT(3) = GD*VFSky
       OUT(4) = RHO*GR*VFGround

That's why I'm almost sure that Xin(4) supposes to be diffuse radiation on
the receiver surface.

Regards,
Christophe.

Christophe, Fernando et al,

>In both cases (a) and (b) I suppose that the sky diffuse radiation input
>is always the input number 4 of type34. The label in the proforma is
>somewhat error prone (it says "sky diffuse on the horizontal").
>
>I think you're right !! There's an error in the TYPE 34 proforma :
>input(4) has to be the diffuse radiation on surface and not the horizontal
>diffuse radiation. You can check it in the TYPE34 source code.

This is NOT an error in the Type34 proforma. Type34 takes the diffuse
radiation on the horizontal surface and the beam radiation on the shaded
opening.

If you could please point out the spot in the Type34 code that leads you to
believe that the model expects diffuse radiation on the shaded surface, I
would be happy to clarify further.

Regards,
   David

ENERTECH