Betr.: [TRNSYS-users] trnsys15-type 56, 68, 34 solar control

David Bradley [SEL] dbradley at engr.wisc.edu
Tue Aug 23 09:34:17 PDT 2005

Xavier,

>I understand the ideas. I am quite new to trnsys and it seems to be quite
>tedious

shading has become more and more of a problem in TRNSYS - the developers
are working on a much more streamlined, long term solution that will
simplify and automate the input.

>1- I should create a new wall = my window with the given new orientation.
>Sabina, Do you write this directly in the bld-file?

The most reliable method is to define a new ORIENTATION in Prebid (or
TRNBuild for TRNSYS 16 users), to define your window in the zone as an
"Additional Window" and /not/ as a new wall that is the same area as the
window that you want to add.

>2- in Prebid, for the description of a window, there is an option called:
>«external shad. factor»
>where it is possible to get an input! But I do not find it again in my
>input list in IISIBAT.
>I do not find any doc about this kind of input.

the one disadvantage of this method is that Prebid and TRNBuild treat
both beam and diffuse radiation equally when it comes to external and
internal shading factors. Thus if you put a shading factor of 0.5, both
incident beam and diffuse radiation will be cut in half. The advantage
of the previous method (defining a new orientation) is that Type34 and
Type68 treat beam and diffuse radiation seperately - beam radiation
might be completely blocked while diffuse radiation is cut down by the
appropriate amount.

To answer your specific question about not finding the input in IISiBat,
what you need to do is click on the little blue button next to the
External Shading Factor field. You then have three options for defining
the shading: setting a constant value, creating a new INPUT, or
designating a SCHEDULE. You'll want to select "Input" and then give this
new input a name such as "EXTSHD." Once you have regenerated your Type56
files (*.trn, *.bld, *.bui, and *.inf) the list of inputs in the *.inf
file will include your newly defined input (EXTSHD). Switch to IISiBat,
right click on the Type56 icon and select "update building variable
list." IISiBat will then reread the *.inf file and include the newly
created INPUT.

Kind regards,
  David

--