[TRNSYS-users] parametric run

Michaël Kummert kummert at engr.wisc.edu
Tue Sep 21 08:30:12 PDT 2004

Isabelle,

> Another question now...  For every run, type 56 needs two files named
> buildingN.trn and buildingN.bld where N is the number of the run.
> I would like to use always the same file (so, without the "N"), is it
> possible ?

I think you must be using the same name for the building files and for
the deck file (e.g. building.dck in which the building is building.bui).
Otherwise TRNSHELL should not require numbered building files.
The basic rule of parametric runs in TRNSHELL is that any Assigned file
with the same name as the deck file (except for the extension of course)
will be numbered. Other files will be left as they are. Usually you
don't want to use a different weather file for example, so it is not
renamed.

Example:

MyDeck.dck
  - reads MyWeather.tm2
  - uses MyBuilding.bui(bld,trn)
  - Prints to MyDeck.out
  --> TRNSHELL will create Mydeck1.dck, MyDeck2.dck, etc that print to
      MyDeck1.out, MyDeck2.out, etc but all of them use the same building
      and weather files.

MyDeck.dck
  - reads MyWeather.tm2
  - uses MyDeck.bui(bld,trn)
  - Prints to MyDeck.out
  --> TRNSHELL will create Mydeck1.dck, MyDeck2.dck, etc that print to
      MyDeck1.out, MyDeck2.out, and use MyDeck1.bld, MyDeck2.bld, etc.
      but all of them use the same weather files.

> If not, is there a simple way to generate these files or do I have to
> manually copy n times a file and change their names n times ?

In case you still want to do this, you can use a simple command line
(you may have to adapt it according to your windows version):
The following line copies Test.txt to Test1.txt, Test2.txt, ... Test10.txt

FOR /L %i IN (1,1,10) DO copy test.txt test%i.txt

(if you include this in a batch file use %%i instead of %i)

I hope this helps,

Michaël Kummert

Michaël Kummert

Solar Energy Laboratory - University of Wisconsin-Madison
1303 Engr Res Bldg, 1500 Engineering Drive
Madison, WI 53706

Tel: +1 (608) 263-1589
Fax: +1 (608) 262-8464
E-mail: kummert at engr.wisc.edu