[TRNSYS-users] sim studio: direct access

Michaël Kummert kummert at engr.wisc.edu
Mon Nov 22 07:37:03 PST 2004

David,

> In our office, we are 3 users involved in simulation with TRNSYS 16 and
> want to share our TRNSYS models through shared directories on our
> server: it's not so easy to do it because of the proformas that had to
> be saved in the Studio/Proformas directory of the installation
> directory, on the local machine, in order to be viewed in the Direct
> access tree. Of course we can use the "insert tree" function but it
> might be useful to manage a list of "based library folder" (from the
> Settings) to add user's defined components in a network shared folder.
> Something like:
>  based library folder:
> "%TRNSYS16%\Studio\Proformas";"\\MyServer\TRNdir\UserProformas";etc...

Your suggestion seems a good one to me (but I am not the one programming
the Studio!). As a workaround, you could also just put the whole TRNSYS
installation on a network drive. With external DLL's, it is easy to
organize your files so that the 3 users can use each other's components
without touching them when they recompile a DLL. I must admit that we
haven't tested that configuration recently here at the lab but I know
users have done that in the past with TRNSYS 15 without any problems,
and the multi-DLL architecture makes it even more interesting.
Simulations might be a little slower depending on your network speed
but, again according to my limited experience with that implementation,
it should be OK.

Kind regards,

Michaël Kummert

Michaël Kummert

Solar Energy Laboratory - University of Wisconsin-Madison
1303 Engr Res Bldg, 1500 Engineering Drive
Madison, WI 53706

Tel: +1 (608) 263-1589
Fax: +1 (608) 262-8464
E-mail: kummert at engr.wisc.edu