[TRNSYS-users] updating decks from TRNSYS 14.2 directly to TRNSYS16

Michaël Kummert kummert at engr.wisc.edu
Fri Nov 19 07:44:01 PST 2004

David,

> Is there any online resource available for this update? I do not find
> documentation on this point in the (great!) V16 manual: only description
> of the update from v15 to v16 is proposed. Should I deduce that we have
> to TRNSlate decks from 14.2 to 15 first and then import in TRNSYS16? Is
> it possible to import directly 14.2 deck into TRNSYS16?

You are correct, the only automatic way to update TRNSYS 14.2 input
files (decks) to 16 is to use the TRNSlate.exe program (included in
Tools\TRNSlate) and then to import the deck files in the Studio.
Once this is done, you should check your project carefully for possible
problems (missing connections, etc.)

> What about 14.2 style .trd files?

The TRNSED syntax did not change (only additions were made). I believe
the TRNSlate program will leave the TRNSED commands as they are, so this
should be OK. When you import the TRNSYS 15 deck in the (TRNSYS 16)
Studio and re-generate the deck, you will loose the TRNSED commands, so
you will have to do some manual work to reflect the changes made by the
Studio in your original TRNSYS 15 deck (which includes the TRNSED
statements).
You could also use the tables that list changes made to
inputs/outputs/parameters in 16 (Volume 4 of the documentation) and
update your TRNSYS 15 deck file by hand. In that case you should
remember to change the start time and check the data readers for
possible configuration changes.
Please also note that the new TRNSED statements offer many new features
(e.g multiple tabs, clickable pictures with "hot spots") so it might be
a good idea to rewrite the TRNSED part of your application anyway.
You can take a look at the TRNSED example (SDHW-TRNSED, which is
described in the "Getting Started" manual) to get an idea of the new
features.

Kind regards,

Michaël Kummert

Michaël Kummert

Solar Energy Laboratory - University of Wisconsin-Madison
1303 Engr Res Bldg, 1500 Engineering Drive
Madison, WI 53706

Tel: +1 (608) 263-1589
Fax: +1 (608) 262-8464
E-mail: kummert at engr.wisc.edu