[TRNSYS-users] shared folders

Michaël Kummert kummert at engr.wisc.edu
Tue Dec 21 15:42:10 PST 2004

David,

> I'm in work with TRNSLATions of my old 14.2 *.trd files. It seems that
> we can now access other files (pictures, data, etc...) from the *.trd by
> use of relative path rather than absolute path, which is a great
> improvement in reliability. It works well as it is used on my local
> machine but TRNSED failed to find the referenced files if all files are
> located on a shared folder on a server: That is, TRNSYS 16 installed on
> my local machine (W2Kpro), and data, project, decks, types, etc... on
> the server so as to be shared with everybody. I tried to copy the
> example files from the installation folder to the shared folder location
> and it doesn't work while it works well in local...
> In order to run it properly, I have had to re-write absolute path: what
> a pity !
> Did you ever notice this? Is there any tip on configuration to use it
> straightforward?

I am not sure what you refer to with "relative path":

As far as I know it was possible to use relative paths in TRNSYS 14.2
and 15. By this I mean "relative to the deck file".
E.g. using "Weather\blahblah.tm2" as a file name will have TRNSYS look
for blahblah.tm2 in a "weather" subfolder, starting wherever the deck is.
One new feature in TRNSYS 16 is the ability to assign files with a path
relative to the TRNSYS 16 installation folder. E.g. :
using ".\Weather\US-TMY2\US-WI-Madison-14837.tm2" will always use a
well-known weather file located in the weather subfolder of your TRNSYS
installation, independently of the deck file location and even if you
move your TRNSYS installation directory around (the location is resolved
at runtime).
NOTE: Currently this is only available in the Studio. The Studio
resolves the absolute path when generating the deck file and writes it
in that deck file) but the next TRNSYS update will also accept that
convention in the deck file itself

This being said, I don't know which method you are trying and how
exactly it fails. Please give us more information (feel free to contact
me directly if you want). Your problem might come from the fact that,
with the current implementation, the project files (TPF) are
location-independent (they use the ".\" code) but the generated deck
files are not.

Kind regards,

Michaël Kummert

Michaël Kummert

Solar Energy Laboratory - University of Wisconsin-Madison
1303 Engr Res Bldg, 1500 Engineering Drive
Madison, WI 53706

Tel: +1 (608) 263-1589
Fax: +1 (608) 262-8464
E-mail: kummert at engr.wisc.edu