[Equest-users] New to eQuest modeling - Adding HVAC systems

David Eldridge DEldridge at grummanbutkus.com
Sat Mar 21 13:16:49 PDT 2020

If I’m understanding the situation there are 14 existing HVAC units that served three separate “suites” and now one occupant will control the whole building allowing sharing between the 14 HVAC units such that several may become redundant. The total capacity is about 100 tons.

In the new design you will have combined air distribution and expect the total load to be 60 tons, including air sealing. Hopefully a lighting upgrade as well which will help reduce the loads unless the system is already modernized.

Do you need to model the existing case? If the only decisions are the new system, then just model the building as it will be configured.

If the modeling is being used to support third-party financing then you may need to model the existing case and calibrate to utility bills. In that case you’ll have an envelope and spaces, and zones that will be the same in both cases, but you’ll be free to serve these from one set of HVAC in your baseline and new HVAC in the proposed case – focus on defining the zones so that you can change the scenario from baseline to proposed. My main tip would be to make more granular zones in case you aren’t sure which will be served by what combination of HVAC in the future. If you make larger zones in the baseline you may find it limiting in how to change it going forward. The smallest amount of zones may be 14 – one for each existing HVAC unit, but may be more if there are variations in use and occupancy within those system service areas and differences how you may combine them in the future. i.e. if you take one of the existing HVAC units and share its zones to two different new HVAC systems you’ll have to model that one as at least two zones in the baseline.

I hope this helps.

David

David S. Eldridge, Jr., P.E., BEMP, BEAP, HBDP, GGA
Associate

Direct: (847) 316-9224 | Mobile: (773) 490-5038

Grumman/Butkus Associates | 820 Davis Street, Suite 300 | Evanston, IL 60201
Energy Efficiency Consultants and Sustainable Design Engineers

grummanbutkus.com<http://grummanbutkus.com/> | Blog<http://grummanbutkus.com/blog> | Facebook<https://www.facebook.com/pages/GrummanButkus-Associates/1385285015032526> | Twitter<https://twitter.com/grummanbutkus>