[Equest-users] SIM report for annual water consumption?

Nicholas Caton Nicholas.Caton at se.com
Tue Jul 21 20:14:30 PDT 2020

Hi Sharad – your contribution provoked me to consider this further (read: I have work I’m supposed to be doing and I like indulging in a distraction on occasion),

I’ve spent a little time trying to intuit your recommended shortcut. I think I understand it now, but want to explain the estimation method for others and to confirm understanding.  Perhaps I have missed a more elegant shortcut?

To preface: We should observe the formula Q = 500*GPM*dT can be tricky when applied against open loop fluid systems, if all inlet/outlet streams aren’t considered.  If you focus too narrowly on only supply and return (recirc), without accounting for the makeup fluid stream… One might say you could end up in hot water ;-).

We can use this equation to estimate consumption (kgal) of domestic hot water (DHW) per year, but it will require some assumptions and manipulations along the way:

  *   To first recap: Q = 500*GPM*dT is, without further modification, intended to calculate the rate at which heat is imparted/extracted (Btu/h) at a given flow rate (gallons per minute) and difference in temperatures (dT), for a fluid with thermal properties substantially aligning with plain water (the constant 500).
  *   Let’s also clarify what we’re trying to solve for:  Gallons of DHW consumed per year.  Provided no leaks in the system and ignoring drains for maintenance/repairs, this volume should match the makeup water introduced into the DHW system over the same time period.
  *   Assuming Makeup water = Groundwater Temps, then
     *   Ignoring tank/storage losses, and ignoring losses in distribution between makeup water entry and the points of delivery,
     *   and further asserting DHW consumption is equalized through the year (there is not a lot more DHW consumption in August vs. February),
     *   the annualized delta will be dT,ann = (Supply Water Temp – Mean Groundwater Temp)_
  *   eQuest with no special/extra effort generates Btu/year of metered fuel/electricity used for DHW heating, as part of the rainbow report outputs.
     *   This is not directly Q, which represents heat applied to the fluid
     *   We need to consider and condense into an annualized figure the “system heating efficiency”, considering
        *   Combustion efficiency
        *   Startup/cycling losses
        *   The presence/frequency/degree of condensing operations and heat recovery, if applicable
     *   This system efficiency may naturally involve many or few assumptions depending upon the DHW system type
     *   Then the annualized heat addition is Q,ann (Btu/h) = (Consumed Btu/year from Fuel Meter End-Use rainbow report) / (System Heating Efficiency) * (1 year / 8760 hours)
  *   Taking these together, we can solve for annualized flow rate, GPM,ann:
     *   GPM,ann = Q,ann / (500 * dT,ann) = (Consumed Btu/year from Fuel Meter End-Use rainbow report) / (System Heating Efficiency) * (1 year / 8760 hours) / 500 / (Supply Water Temp – Mean Groundwater Temp)_
  *   And from the annulalized flow rate, we can calculate kGal/year
     *   GPM,ann * (1 kGal / 1000gal) * (525,600 minutes / year) = kGal/year
  *   So altogether, we’ve had to make a few assumptions to leverage the following shorthand:
     *   kGal/year = (1 kGal / 1000gal) * (525,600 minutes / year) * (Consumed Btu/year from Fuel Meter End-Use rainbow report) / (System Heating Efficiency) * (1 year / 8760 hours) / 500 / (Supply Water Temp – Mean Groundwater Temp)
     *   Aside:  At this juncture you should recognize there’s a qualifier that’ll affect a lot of commercial DHW applications.  This is kGals/year of water at the given Supply Water Temp.  If the DHW requires a mixing valve at the point of delivery or upstream, to avoid scalding hazards, and you want to calculate the gallons leaving all of the faucets (at a safer, lower temperature), then you need to factor this result to reflect how many gallons of, say, 120F water will be consumed given fewer gallons of 140 or 180F generated.

TLDR: I’m not sure this approach, which requires a number of assumptions/rounded corners, is much faster than working out the annual delta between supply vs return flow on the DHW loop, as originally suggested by Phil.  That does seem to be the most direct route to understanding exactly what was simulated (with some of the same caveats from that final bullet around mixing valves).  3 Points for Phil’s favorite Hogwarts House!

~Nick

[cid:image002.jpg at 01D65FAC.49430170]
Nick Caton, P.E., BEMP
  Senior Energy Engineer