[Equest-users] eQuest Floor Multiplier vs System Multiplier

Nicholas Caton Nicholas.Caton at se.com
Tue Aug 27 13:38:55 PDT 2019

To further clarify,

FLOOR and SPACE multipliers consistently will multiply whatever loads are associated before the assigned system(s) deal with those loads.

Where both SPACE and FLOOR multipliers co-exist, their effects are additive, which is to say they will multiply each other (i.e. a SPACE with a multiplier of 2 in a FLOOR with a multiplier of 3 will send the space’s loads times 6 to the SYSTEM assigned to that SPACE).

Small nitpick to correct some loose language, for any newer users following along: once we leave the wizard mode and get into detailed edits, FLOORs are not assigned to SYSTEMS.  If you choose “system per floor” or similar in wizards, the result is that a family of SPACEs/ZONEs representative of one floor together are assigned to a single system.

A SYSTEM, unless provided a multiplier, will auto-size (or else report unmet hours with specified capacities) commensurate with the loads being seen after considering all FLOOR and SPACE multipliers.

If however you also provide a multiplier to the SYSTEM, you will then divide the summed and multiplied loads from the SPACES.  This again can be done with or without specifying system capacities.  With Calvin’s example, if you specify a SYSTEM multiplier of 3, then you can specify the individual system @ 10,000 Btu/h (with other capacities such as airflow specified in kind to reflect an individual unit).

To go on the record WRT the topic of accuracy here, I think the average LEED/Code reviewer has enough on their plates to be catching/tracking nuances like this.  It feels contingent on the energy modeler to make a decision, stick with it, and document accordingly – make it plain whenever you do or don’t use multipliers, and be ready to demonstrate the intended effects in the outputs (for yourself or others).  In some cases, representing many systems as one would represent a meaningful departure in terms of accuracy, but in others I would consider it a perfectly fine & justifiable simplification...  that’s to say this sort of decision is pretty contextual, and I wouldn’t push someone to always err one way or the other.

~Nick

[cid:image005.png at 01D515A3.47EDD880]
Nick Caton, P.E., BEMP
  Senior Energy Engineer