[Equest-users] Zones with different roof height on same floor

David Griffin II DGriffin at archnexus.com
Mon Jul 30 13:44:29 PDT 2018

Tejas,

Great question! I work for an architecture firm as an energy analyst, and I find my life is a lot easier if I go the extra mile to accurately model the building’s envelope in eQuest despite the extra time and effort with a mild increase in accuracy. I have illustrated one of my recent models below which includes green screens, parapets, a partially sloped roof, and spaces with and without ceilings (a lot of overkill). This process is much more involved than the process your model will take. See my step-by-step instructions below.

[cid:image001.png at 01D42811.85066190]

It appears your model will require at least three (3) shells be created in the Wizard – One for portion of the building.

1)      Create first shell with height ‘X’

a.       All shells should have the footprint of the entire building.

2)      Create second shell with height ‘X+N’

a.       All shells should have the footprint of the entire building.

b.       On the ‘General Shell Information’ screen (1 of 26), make sure you ‘Specify exact Site Coordinates’ in order for eQuest to appropriately assign geometry and locate the shell accordingly.

3)      Create shell with height ‘X’

a.       All shells should have the footprint of the entire building.

b.       On the ‘General Shell Information’ screen (1 of 26), make sure you ‘Specify exact Site Coordinates’ in order for eQuest to appropriately assign geometry and locate the shell accordingly.

When you are done, you should have something that looks like the following illustration. If you have done it correctly, the wizard should create all your interior and exterior walls appropriately as illustrated by the outlined geometry (Red). Of course, I encourage you to add thermal zones as required to each shell to accurately model the HVAC system and other associated loads.

[cid:image002.png at 01D42813.D082F500]

[ARCH | NEXUS]<http://www.archnexus.com>
DAVID W. GRIFFIN II
BEMP
ENERGY ANALYST
2505 E Parleys Way
Salt Lake City, UT 84109
Office 801.924.5028
archnexus.com<http://www.archnexus.com>
[Twitter]<https://twitter.com/arch_nexus>[Facebook]<https://www.facebook.com/pages/Architectural-Nexus/179588705397563?ref=ts&fref=ts>[Youtube]<https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYRPWKF-yp-AUiI8ia2XfKw?feature=mhee>[LinkedIn]<https://www.linkedin.com/company/architectural-nexus>