[Equest-users] Tank less DWH

David Eldridge via Equest-users equest-users at lists.onebuilding.org
Tue Jun 20 08:48:57 PDT 2017

I think there are two separate issues. The vendor is comparing their system as a retrofit to an older and inefficient system. For Appendix G modeling purposes you wouldn’t compare against that existing hot water system, the baseline would be the code minimum new system as selected by your building’s characteristics.

So even if the system did save 30% to 40% against existing storage systems, it won’t likely do that against an Appendix G baseline.

Arriving at the 30% to 40% figure for existing building retrofits is a whole different can of worms – tank losses could be reduced for sure. The thermal efficiency is shown to be very high. There are many other losses in the existing system that may also come into play though, so the rule of thumb savings figure is difficult without saying “percentage of what” – it wouldn’t affect the flow rates as you mention which is an additional opportunity, and if the system is recirculating it will have losses from that activity.

Looks like a good product though, definitely some energy reduction potential for sites that fit the capacity and venting requirements.

David

David S. Eldridge, Jr., P.E., LEED AP BD+C, BEMP, BEAP, HBDP
Grumman/Butkus Associates