[Equest-users] Humidification Savings for LEED, BREEM

Sharad Kumar via Equest-users equest-users at lists.onebuilding.org
Mon Jan 30 20:48:34 PST 2017

Hi Bikesh,

My clarifications are as follows:

On Mon, Jan 30, 2017 at 10:08 PM, Fred Betz <fbetz at aeieng.com> wrote:

Short answer is yes, these technologies have been applied for LEED savings.
You’ll need to do an exceptional calculation as eQUEST can’t model an
atomizing system to my knowledge.

[SK]:After doing the exceptional calculation you may be able to find
whether there can be savings or not. There can be easy savings if there is
less electricity used in spray or atomizing humidifier and there is
substantial cooling  and humidification due to the humidification
process.May be the art galary uses too high level of humidity to as to have
good comfort condition for the art things and might be it would be in some
cool areas.

There may be heating savings using atomizing, but it depends on the system
design.

[SK]: Due to humidification after spray atomizer the latent heat will be
transferred from the room to the small minute water droplets and the air
will become cooler and there can be lesser electricity for the cooling
part.Also there might be less heating requirement as there can be enough
heating due to moisture laden heat of the space.

Steam boilers typically operate between 80-85% depending on technology
whereas a hot water preheat coil served by a condensing boiler and/or a
heat recovery chiller would achieve 95% efficiency or better.

[SK]: I'm not clear about this point.

The electrical energy required to provide water for the atomizing system
should also be accounted for in the analysis. Many use RO systems that use
a fair bit of electricity. RO system efficiency ranges from  50-80%
depending on size so on an energy cost basis it may not pan out depending
on utility rates. Also, there’s some pumping energy for the hot water
preheat coil.

[SK]: RO or reverse osmosis is the process of moving of fluid from higher
concentration to lower concentration. The air is always a low density
medium so we can say that it is not RO but it is being operated by
electrical means. Small amount of electricity is required to atomized or
spray the water droplets into the room.

That said I believe it’s much easier to permit and operate an atomizing
system than a steam boiler so if your only steam need is humidification and
you’re installing a whole boiler system for just that, it may not payback
even if the steam system uses less energy cost. That value should be
determined in a life cycle cost analysis.

[SK]: I'm not sure how we can succumb to this that whether the steam boiler
can replace a atomizing humidifier or not.

Hope this may clarify few things.

Hope that makes sense.

Fred