[Equest-users] Can DOE2 couple with CFD software?

Joe Huang yjhuang at whiteboxtechnologies.com
Mon Feb 29 10:46:27 PST 2016

I think there's such a large difference in computational intensity (?) between DOE-2 (or
any simulation program that models a thermal zone as a single node) and CFD that coupling
the two together does not make sense to me, even if it could be done.  I think you're much
better off looking into coupling DOE-2 to a multi-zone air-flow program like CONTAM or
COMIS.  Even then, you have to exchange data back and forth at each time step, since air
flows and zone air temperatures are so interconnected.  I spent more than a year in
coupling EnergyPlus to COMIS back in 200-2002.
It would probably be easier to do in DOE-2 SYSTEMS, but would still require changes to the
source code to call the airflow program at each time step.  Not trivial and not a "work
around".  Thoughts from others would be welcomed.

Joe

Joe Huang
White Box Technologies, Inc.
346 Rheem Blvd., Suite 205A