[Equest-users] Repost - how to simulate a revolving door

Sharad Kumar sharadcapricious at gmail.com
Thu Feb 25 01:04:18 PST 2016

Hi Zarah,

As per my understanding you need to know the cooling load requirement of
any space for any time.
For this one can do peak load calculations and try to find out the cooling
load requirement of any space at desired time.
I have also referred ASHARE 90.1 and have found that the swinging door has
1 cfm / sq. ft. and windows have 0.40 cfm / sq .ft as infiltration.

eQUEST have the option to input the required infiltration in Internal load
tab and input it in as cfm /sq. ft for the space.
The infiltration being input is the total infiltration in that space.
You need to have proper weather file as per location, have some cooling
system as per project and proper infiltration as input.
Then from the hourly report being derived from the File< Export File<
Hourly result (CSV) and have the finding in cooling end-use energy.
This will help you to find out whether that space at any desired time needs
the cooling or not. Additionally one needs to have proper schedules.
The better software to have these kind of analyses is IES-VE but eQUEST can
also help.
The design time is the cooling load having the most peak value of cooling
energy in Hourly report.If the Cooling requirement is less than 300 hours
over the year then may be you can ignore installing cooling system.
If it is for the major part of year then you can choose to have cooling
system. Also have a go on the cooling plant requirement size.
Hope this can be helpful.

Thanks,
Sharad. Kumar.
Green Horizon Consulting LLP.
Gurgaon.

Dear eQuesters,
Sorry for the repost! I do need your help about this due to time limit. If
any one can give a hint, I really appreciate that!

My client requires to do a thermal simulation for a two-story
atrium/staircase to check if the cooling system is required for it. The
atrium has a revolving door, which revolves once every 30 minutes, and the
swing door opens for 30 minutes every 8 hours for shift change. My question
is how to simulate the revolving door and swing door in eQuest? I noticed
that ASHRAE 90.1-2010 mentioned the infiltration from these two types of
doors is 1.0 cfm/ft2 tested at a pressure of at least 1.57 pounds per
square foot (psf), but I do not quite understand what this means and how to
use this number in my model. If any one has an idea, please give the
comments. Thank you so much!
Best regards,

Zarah