[Equest-users] Repost - how to simulate a revolving door

Nicholas.Caton at schneider-electric.com Nicholas.Caton at schneider-electric.com
Thu Feb 25 09:17:48 PST 2016

Apologies for not contributing sooner(I’ve been in a busy week myself), but I notice a few critical points may have been missed in the discussion so far:

·         The numbers 90.1 cites for window (0.4 cfm/ft2 ) and door (1.0 cfm/ft2) leakage are at NFRC-400 testing conditions (75 pascals).  These represent maximum permissible infiltration in a closed state with head-on windspeed equivalent to 75 Pa.

·         Open windows & swinging doors will infiltrate much more than closed assemblies.  The real-world problem of airflow through free openings is rather complicated depending upon many variables (including relative temperatures, windspeed direction vs. orientation, building pressurization, stack effects, whether and where other nearby openings are occurring…).

·         Conservatively & for a back of envelope / sanity check with free openings, I might consider CFM = hourly windspeed(fpm) x free area(ft2) on an hourly basis.

·         Revolving doors by design are never “open” in the above sense – see this image from Wikipedia <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Revolving_door>  if that isn’t immediately clear:

So the whole picture is perhaps a bit more complicated than you might have initially thought, but I believe you will find eQuest is generally well-equipped to tackle all of the above!

·         Your weather file has windspeed data that can be used each hour for calculations

·         Looking to your SPACE inputs for infiltration, you can read up on the variety of options for how sophisticated you want to make your simulation.  Most options do account for hourly windspeed.  In all cases, you can define an INF-SCHEDULE to account for behavior like swinging doors & windows opening.

·         If this is all flying a little too high in complexity for your purposes/timeframe, I suggest leveraging the wizards to observe what infiltration schedules and inputs are generated using a few dummy ‘shell’ models.  Note “perimeter” vs. “core” infiltration schedules are commonly generated side by side and will be named accordingly.

·         I’d personally prefer leveraging a custom hourly report for this sort of assessment.  Starting variables to spot check my expectations would include

o   SPACE infiltration (cfm) as calculated,

o   local windspeed

o   ZONE temperature

o   ZONE tstat setpoint

Other thoughts:

·         Ultimately you are going to be making a “Yes/No” decision based on how the temperatures in this space float.  Step back before getting too far into the study and make some decisions regarding what would be subjectively “acceptable” comfort criteria considering anticipated atrium/staircase usage, occupancy profile, & expectations specific to your regional climate/locale.

·         High-level assessment idea, if you don’t want to assess this “manually” via hourly outputs:  You could perhaps most simply create a pair of zone temp schedules reflective of maximum comfort thresholds, then leverage simulation unmet hours inform how often & when you cross those lines.

·         At only 2 stories effects probably won’t be extreme, but keep in the back of your mind that eQuest/doe2 assumes “perfect thermal mixing” within a zone hour by hour.  If your space does not have fans or other means of consistent circulation, there’s potential for buoyancy/stack effects in the real world to result in different conditions on the 1st vs. 2nd level.

Probably more than you’re looking for… sorry for the wall of text!

~Nick

Nick Caton, P.E.

  Senior Energy Engineer
  Energy and Sustainability Services
  North America Operations
  Schneider Electric

D  913.564.6361
M  785.410.3317
E  nicholas.caton at schneider-electric.com <mailto:nicholas.caton at schneider-electric.com>
F  913.564.6380

15200 Santa Fe Trail Drive
Suite 204
Lenexa, KS 66219
United States

  <http://www.schneider-electric.com/ww/en/>

*Please consider the environment before printing this e-mail