[Bldg-sim] How reliable is weather data from web sources such as the Weather Underground?

Joe Huang yjhuang at whiteboxtechnologies.com
Sun Mar 4 04:52:33 PST 2018

Since I've been recommending for years web sources such as the Weather Underground for
those wanting site-specific weather data , it behooves me to know how reliable are such
data?   It's difficult to answer that question in the absolute sense because there are no
incontrovertible sources against which to compare. However, I did the next best thing,
which is to compare the data against that from a nearby major weather station and then
look to see whether the differences make sense according to general understanding of
terrain factors and  urban microclimate variations.

This comparison was not done in a vacuum, but in response to a client who wanted weather
data for a site in Portland Oregon, with a particular interest on the amount of rainfall.
The map below shows  the site of interest (red teardrop) and the NSW station at the
Portland Airport 4.5 miles away.  The Weather Underground station PORTL437 is located
about 0.5 miles to the east of the site equidistant on the other side of the MLKing Blvd.

I'll let the plots in my reply to the client speak for themselves, but my general feeling
is that the WU data looked quite consistent with the airport data, and that the
differences are quite understandable, e.g., the reduced wind speeds and the lack of
correlation in the wind direction, since the airport station is in a flat open area next
to the Columbia River, while the WU station is in a urban residential area 4-5 miles away.

I'm still withholding judgement whether the 60% difference in the recorded rainfall is
real, a result of the placement of the WU station, or a defect in the measurement
protocol.  Come to think of it, I don't know how these automated weather stations record
rainfall (liquid precipitation to be technically correct).  I can only think of a rain
gauge that's manually recorded and maintained.

Joe